Author Topic: Ideas for useful product enhancements  (Read 13773 times)

Giancarlo

Re: Ideas for useful product enhancements
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »
Ciao Werner

Here few thoughts (without knowing anything about the implementation technology and tools behind).

Precondition: All I say as follows is conceptually restricted to work for a (two dimensional) cellar which is composed from one or many standard racks. (Hence the outlined idea does not allow combining standard with custom racks nor does it intent to replace today's implemented custom rack concept.)

Conceptual idea:
1) a cellar is represented by a standard rack
2) today's standard rack is represented by one or more shelfs (Kasten)
3) today's shelf is represented by one or more sub-shelfs (Sub-Kasten) ... this should be possible as today sub-shelfs are disabled with standard racks (and that's the trick behind this idea)
4) graphically it might be required to distinct the border lines of a cellar (solid thick line), of a shelf (solid line) and of a sub-shelf (thin line)

That's it! Does this make sense to you? What do you think about technical feasibility?

Giancarlo

Offline werner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »
Ciao Werner

Here few thoughts (without knowing anything about the implementation technology and tools behind).

Precondition: All I say as follows is conceptually restricted to work for a (two dimensional) cellar which is composed from one or many standard racks. (Hence the outlined idea does not allow combining standard with custom racks nor does it intent to replace today's implemented custom rack concept.)

Conceptual idea:
1) a cellar is represented by a standard rack
2) today's standard rack is represented by one or more shelfs (Kasten)
3) today's shelf is represented by one or more sub-shelfs (Sub-Kasten) ... this should be possible as today sub-shelfs are disabled with standard racks (and that's the trick behind this idea)
4) graphically it might be required to distinct the border lines of a cellar (solid thick line), of a shelf (solid line) and of a sub-shelf (thin line)

That's it! Does this make sense to you? What do you think about technical feasibility?

Giancarlo
I have more of a problem with finding the right widget (GUI control element).

The standard racks just use a grid/spreadsheet widget, where the custom rack uses a graphical drawing widget (GDW).

The GDW I currently use is not that flexible, there are others available but at the time I did implement this they had problems or were not yet finished or were too slow.

Ideally I would like to be able to do both type of racks using the same GDW, this would also allow more flexibility for standard racks, e.g. back/front bottle storage.

Whenever the GDW library I am considering using is done or gets to beta release I will have another look at all this.

Werner

Giancarlo

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 05:44:40 PM »
Hi Werner

Implementing the outlined idea doesn't require any graphical drawing widget. The cellar is visualized by using the grid/spreadsheet widget. That's why it's relevant to distinct the different elements by thickness of lines or so. ... as written in the manual, pictures say more than words ... I will send you an email with an attachment that illustrates the idea.

Regards,
Giancarlo

Offline werner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 06:07:06 PM »
Hi Werner

Implementing the outlined idea doesn't require any graphical drawing widget. The cellar is visualized by using the grid/spreadsheet widget. That's why it's relevant to distinct the different elements by thickness of lines or so. ... as written in the manual, pictures say more than words ... I will send you an email with an attachment that illustrates the idea.

Regards,
Giancarlo
I can't see how the same grid shows two or more standard racks, without making some assumptions (they always bite at some point) on how large a rack may be.

Today rack column 1, row 1 is position A/0 in the spreadsheet, if we do two racks in the same grid we would have to define that a rack can not have more then e.g. 200 x 200 columns/rows, so rack two column 1 and row 1 would be in A+200/200.

Frankly, don't like that too much.

Werner

anything