Author Topic: A few questions before purchase  (Read 4312 times)

henk.kruse

A few questions before purchase
« on: August 25, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
I have downloaded this program while searching for a Joomla/PHP download to manage my winecellar an receipts. I am impressed by this program, but still looking for some options. Maybe someone at this forum can help me out.

1. Is there already a softwareportal tot Joomla or PHP, so I can integrate it with my website?
2. Is it possible to translate the software and database-data into Dutch and publish this for other users?
3. I'd like to store the data on my NAS, so while installing I choose for the program C:\Program Files\TheWineCellarBook (Standard) and for the database Y:\TheWineCellarBook (my NAS). Unfortunately while starting the program it seems hardcoded looking for C:\TheWineCellarBook\config

I hope someone can help me out!

Henk Kruse
The Netherlands

Offline werner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A few questions before purchase
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:46:14 AM »
Good morning Henk Kruse,

1. I am not aware of a Joomla or PHP based solution for wine management.  May I ask why you would like it within Joomla or why a PHP solution?
2.a Yes, I could send you the necessary file to thanslate the software screens.  Currently about 2,500 text strings to translate.
2.b Never done this, but technically possible as you probably have seen a lot is translated into French and German.  For this to happen I would send you a database which has "Dutch" defined as a supported language, you would then have to go through the master data dialogs and translate the data.   To be able to share this data with future users of the system you would have to send the databse back to me and I would have to create some tool to extract it and include it into the next minor release (e.g. 3.2).
3. The path to the program nor the data folder are hard coded (there was an issue with the "config" folder which should be corrected in the latest release), they could be on "D:" or wherever, but the drive has to be a locally attached drive.  This is a "limitation" of the database engine I use.  They did this as there currently is no save way to detect if a file is open on a NAS or non local drive, as concurrent access to the database by two different db engines is just about ensuring corruption of the database they are preventing this.

FYI, in my own setup I use the full server version of the database whch allows access to the database server from any PC on my LAN.  This is still experimental but at some point I like to make this available to other users too.

Werner

henk.kruse

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:31:38 AM »
Hello Werner,

1. I'd like to publish my tastingnotes, winecellar and receipts on my website, so when I am not at home I can look into my information and share it with my friends and family. I can also in the shop see my notes about my wines etc. on my smartphone.

2. Please send me the files and I try to translate them for you into Dutch.

3. If I read you correct It's not possible to share the data on my network, unless I create a script at startup to copy the database to the local drive and after shutdown the software copy the data back. Then I need option 1 much more ;-).

Thanks for the answers. The bugreport I send you refered to number 3.

Henk

Offline werner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:41:17 AM »
Hi Henk,

1. Noted, have had this type of request from a few users.  Have started to look into finding a technical solution for it, which does not require me to start from scratch - would be too much work/time.

2. Sent the .po file for the UI translation to you per email

3. This wouldn't solve the problem of getting access via e.g. Smartphone.  Do you have a PC on your LAN which is always/mostly on?  If yes, then we could look into setting up a full server on your LAN, i.e. duplicate my setup here (which I mostly need for developement but I also use it for my cellar, so that my wife can get to the recipe book - also she doesn't do it as often as she should:).

Werner

Offline werner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »
Henk,

3. The shared LAN version for the DB does not resolve the smartphone issue either.  So, what about a custom report definition which is run when one closes the application and generates e.g. a .pdf.

Are PDF's easy reabable on the smartphone you are using (btw, what type is it) or would another format be more easier to work with (without it being a full application)?

Werner

Offline werner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
Henk,

I put an option in that allows to define an unlimited number of reports to be produced on closing of the application.  The reports can be output as .pdf, .html, .csv, .txt and .xls (can't test this as I don't have Excel on my machines).  This will be in the next version.

Any of the current reports can be used for this or one can define ones own using the Report Manager tool which I use for the reports.

Werner

Offline Zradino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 06:54:13 AM »
Content Awareness spot

anything